The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
Pages To Read:
– RK.AppendixA Section I:v ‘Here follows a part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen’ (start) – “Gilraen died before the next spring” (about 5 pages)
Events: (History of Aragorn & Arwen, takes place from TA 2931 – TA 3007)
– Aragorn is born to Arathorn (Chieftain of the Dúnedain) and Gilraen in TA 2931.
– Following Arathorn’s death, Gilraen takes him to Rivendell, where is raised in secret. His heritage is kept from him, and he is called Estel (‘Hope’).
– Elrond tells Estel/Aragorn about his true name and heritage when he turns 21. He then entrusts Aragorn with the Ring of Barahir and the shards of Narsil. (TA 2952)
– Aragorn meets Arwen in the woods while singing the Tale of Tinúviel, in a way very reminiscent of Beren’s first meeting with Lúthien.
– Aragorn and Arwen reveal their identities. Arwen reveals that although she is Elrond’s daughter, she has lived for a while in Lothlórien, which is why they hadn’t met before.
– Aragorn falls quickly for Arwen, despite the disapproval of his mother and Elrond.
– Elrond reveals that if Arwen chooses to stay with Aragorn, she will be severed from her kin for eternity.
– Aragorn goes off and works with Gandalf in opposition to Sauron for thirty years.
– When Aragorn is 49, he visits Lothlórien where he meets Arwen once again. This time, Arwen declares his love for him and chooses a mortal life. They declare their love on Midsummer: a bittersweet moment for Arwen who muses that she is leaving behind the land of her people and her dearly loved father to be with him. (TA 2980)
– Elrond is saddened by Arwen’s choice, but makes his peace with Aragorn. He tells Aragorn that he must become King of Gondor and Arnor before he is worthy to wed Arwen.
– Over the remaining years until the War of the Ring, Aragorn continues his work as a Ranger. Arwen stays in Rivendell and watches over Aragorn in her thoughts. Gilraen eventually leaves Rivendell, but sees Aragorn one last time before she dies. (TA 3007)
Trivia, Quotes, and Details:
– This is a great time if there ever was one to rewatch the incredible fan movie Born of Hope!! As you may remember, this hour-long fanfilm follows Arathorn and Gilraen in the years leading up to and following Aragorn’s birth. One main plot point is finding the Ring of Barahir that features prominently in the reading today. If you missed Born of Hope the first time around, definitely give it a watch this time!
Links to Other Content:
– Aragorn and Arwen, by faQy. Great quirky illustration of the pair.
– Love and Promise, by norloth. Nice drawing of Aragorn/Arwen.
– Estel’s True Heritage, by Saphari. Great drawing of Aragorn receiving the Ring of Barahir.
– Rivendell, by JonHodgson. A wide shot of Rivendell with a young Aragorn/Arwen.
Notes: Part 1 of the Aragorn and Arwen’s tale! This covers everything before we get into spoiler territory, so make sure to not read past the end point. Mostly from Aragorn’s point of view, so even here we don’t get to see much of Arwen. Ah well, guess we have to wait until February to get a good female character… ~Tom