Shire Reckoning: August 18, 3018 (Wedmath 18, 1419)
Page To Read: -FR.ThreeIsCompany “The Shire had seldom seen so fair a summer, or so rich an autumn: the tress were laden with apples, honey was dripping in the combs, and the corn was tall and full” (~p.3)
Events: – Summer passes in the Shire! Frodo & co. are (still) just hanging out, unaware of Gandalf’s plight. As far as they know, he’s still set to come back before they leave in the fall.
Links to Other Content: – Apples, by s-u-w-i. Adorable picture of Merry and Pippin! – Blackberry Tart recipe, by Feast of Starlight. We haven’t technically reached the Prancing Pony yet, but there won’t be time to focus on a fun Shire-themed recipe when we do! This tart looks amazing, I really want to try and make it. In fact I just might…
Notes: Not much to say; Tolkien only gives us basically one sentence to describe the Hobbits’ summer. There’s a little bit more background info to cover, and then the real adventure starts around September 15. ~Tom
Today I’d like to share a few fun LOTR-themed recipes. I will be completely honest, despite my habit of baking when stressed, I have not tried these specific recipes so I can’t say anything more than that they look good! They all come from LOTR Scrapbook, which is an old fan website that has good collections of poetry, recipes, image galleries and more.
– Scones for Frodo – could definitely pass for a scrumptious Shire treat – Lembas Bread – we of course haven’t covered this yet, but Lembas bread is a special type of bread made my Elves – Bilbo’s Tea Cake – simple cake recipe, the site says to “serve it to Gandalf for afternoon tea”
Notes: Enjoy baking! Leave a comment on the blog telling us how they turn out 🙂 ~Tom
– ‘Queer Lodgings’ – The Dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf receive food, shelter, and a short rest in the house of Beorn.
– ‘Flies and Spiders’ – things go awry during the trek through Mirkwood
– ‘Barrels Out Of Bond’ – Bilbo saves the Dwarves from the Wood-elves
– ‘A Warm Welcome’ – the party makes it to Laketown and receive… a warm welcome
– “‘I’m always last and I don’t like it,’ said Bombur. … ‘You should not be so fat.'”
– “Somehow the killing of the giant spider, all alone by himself in the dark without the help of the wizard or the dwarves of of anyone else, made a great difference to Mr. Baggins.”
Notes: Lots of links today to go along with the 4 chapters covered. Again, the pace for Lord Of The Rings will be much, MUCH slower. Classic adventures in Mirkwood today; enjoy the music and pretty pictures! ~Tom