The Company pass Argonath and camp at Parth Galen
Shire Reckoning: February 25, 3019 (Solmath 25, 1420)
Pages to read:
– FR.GreatRiver “Nothing happened that night worse” (~p.13) – FR.BreakingOfTheFellowship “we must go warily tomorrow” (~p.1)
– It rains in the morning, but clears up quickly as the river enters a narrow ravine.
– The river takes the Company quickly through the iconic Gates of Argonath (art: The Pillars of the Kings, by Ted Nasmith). These ancient Númenórean statues still stand proudly, despite being thousands of years old.
– Even Boromir is moved by their presence (art: Boromir and the Statues of the Argonath, by DonatoArts). Aragorn reveals that they are modeled after Isildur and Anárion, his ancestors.
– The statues seem to revitalize Aragorn, and Frodo marvels at how he no longer looks like a Ranger, but like a king returning from exile.
– Finally the boats come out of the ravine and into a lake (Nen Hithoel). On the eastern and western shores respectively are the peaks Amon Lhaw and Amon Hen, where there used to stand great watchtowers. In the middle of the lake sits the island Tol Brandir. (Art: Tol Brandir, by Ted Nasmith). The Falls of Rauros lie just past Tol Brandir.
– The Company camps for the night on Parth Galen, a field on the riverbank below Amon Hen.
– During the night, Aragorn is uneasy. Frodo gets worried, and they check Frodo’s sword Sting, finding it faintly glowing. However, Aragorn reasons that this is just due to faraway orcs on the eastern (opposite) shore and decides there is no immediate threat. Aragorn warns Frodo to keep a watchful eye out tomorrow for unexpected threats.
From The Tale of Years:
The Fellowship pass the Argonath and camp at Parth Galen. First Battle of the Fords of Isen; Théodred son of Théoden slain.
Sidenote (the Fords of Isen):
You may notice that in the appendix plot summary for today, it notes the First Battle of the Fords of Isen. This is a disastrous battle over in Rohan (the horse-lord nation to the northwest of Gondor) wherein the Prince of Rohan, Théodred, is slain by orcs from Saruman. Théodred obviously never appears directly in the story, but his death will have consequences for Rohan which we will see soon…
– Art: Theodred, by WermoongRey. Awesome art of Théodred’s last stand!
– Art: Ethraid Engrin, by MatejCadil. Melancholy drawing of the Fords covered in dead bodies after the battle.
– Fonstad map, reviewing the journey from Jan. 15 up to today.
– Fonstad maps 1, 2, 3. These map show the routes that members of the Company will take in the upcoming weeks. Obviously lots of spoilers, but good for keeping up with the geography.
Notes: Okay so this one didn’t turn out too terribly long, but that’s because I was stupid and thought today was tomorrow. As spoiled by the chapter title, tomorrow is the Breaking of the Fellowship, so the update will (actually) be long. ~Tom