Frodo’s birthday, the last night in Bag End
Shire Reckoning: September 22, 3018 (Halimath 22, 1419)
Pages To Read:
-FR.Three “Thursday, his birthday morning” (~p.3) – “Gandalf had not come” (~p.4)
– Frodo celebrates his birthday, drinking some good wine and lamenting that he had to sell Bag End to the *shudder* Sackville-Bagginses.
– Frodo also is secretly sad that he will have to leave behind Merry and Pippin (and I guess Folco and Fredegar); he hasn’t told them of his true plans yet.
– Gandalf still hasn’t arrived. As we see in the Appendices, he’s just now getting his horse, Shadowfax. Also the Black Riders are approaching, crossing Sarn Ford.
Trivia, Quotes, and Details:
– According to Appendix D, Thursday in the Shire is really more like our Saturday, so the days of the week actually match up by some miracle!
– Tears for Sam, who doesn’t actually get to go to the party, because… gardener?? Don’t worry people, Sam & Frodo will eventually get a lot closer.
Links to Other Content:
– Happy Birthday Frodo, by middleearthgirl. Cute (admittedly movie-based) drawing of Frodo’s party.
– Fonstad map – the journey through October 7. MAJOR SPOILERS. So in Fonstad’s incredible Atlas of Middle Earth, she has a series of maps detailing the journey day by day. This covers up to October 7, so you can use it to follow along if you don’t mind spoilers. PS I’ll send it out again on Oct. 7 to review.
The Tale of Years:
The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening; they drive off the guard of Rangers. Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax.
Notes: The final night in the Shire! Get hyped people!! ~Tom