Of Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur
Shire Reckoning: July 21, 3018 (Overlithe 21, 1419)
Pages To Read:
-RK.AppA section I.iii ‘Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur’ (start) (~p.7) – “driven off by Bandobras Took” (~p.11)
– Elendil and Isildur, who were the heroes of the second age, founded the kingdom of Arnor in the north at the beginning of the Third Age.
– Arnor lasts over 800 years until the rule of Eärendur, after which it was split into three kingdoms: Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhudaur.
– Rhudaur quickly allies itself with the evil forces of Angmar; Cardolan also eventually falls to Angmar.
– In Arthedain, the line of kings is preserved until Arvedui gets driven out by the Witch-King (the leader of Angmar)
– Arvedui, the last king of Arnor, perishes at sea after he doesn’t follow the advice of the mysterious Snowmen of Forochel.
– The last remnants of Númenor survive as the Rangers, led by the line of Chieftans
– Orcs and other evil forces multiply and spread over Eriador, having especially many strongholds in the Misty Mountains
– Elrond’s wife Celebrían travels through the Redhorn Pass in 2509 and is captured and tortured. The sons of Elrond eventually rescue her, but she is so scarred she leaves Middle Earth.
Trivia, Quotes, and Details:
– Remember what is mentioned today about the Barrow-Downs (Tyrn Gorthad) – that will be a later location of interest. (According to the section, they had origins going back to Men of the first age)
– We get our first glimpse of the Witch-King of Angmar today. Here, his is a spooky leader who is said (by the Snowmen) to be able to make frost or thaw at his will. The biggest takeaway is that he rises to power in Angmar and captures Fornost after demolishing the three northern kingdoms – we’ll hear next week about what happens subsequently at Fornost.
Links to Other Content:
– Rangers of the North, by woutart (featured). Three-image series depicting the broken remnants of the line of kings.
– Annuminas,by woutart. Ruins of the original capital of Arnor
– Rhudaur, by MatejCadil
– Minhiriath, by MatejCadil. A deforested area (part of Cardolan) in southern Eriador.
Notes: Lots of detail about the kingdoms of the north today, highly recommended to have a map handy for checking the geography. I wouldn’t focus on all the details, but definitely pay attention to stuff about the Barrow-Downs, Weathertop, and the Witch-King. ~Tom