Frodo deals with the aftermath of Bilbo’s departure
Pages To Read:
FR.Party “Night slowly passed” (~p.16) – (end)
– Frodo gives out the many presents that Bilbo left behind. Unfortunately rumour spreads that the entire Hobbit-hole is free for the taking, so Frodo and his friend Merry have to fight off opportunistic hobbits.
– Today’s featured art is Frodo, by TheAngelCookie, perhaps relaxing after a hard day of arguing with annoying relatives.
– Gandalf arrives and tells Frodo abruptly that he is leaving. The chapter ends with the words “Frodo did not see him again for a long time.”
Trivia, Quotes, and Details:
– The scene with presents bearing ironic messages from Bilbo (as well as most of this chapter) goes back to the very first draft. However the context was very different then: with Frodo not having been introduced, the story was going to follow one of Bilbo’s descendants. (That’s right Bilbo got married!)
– Merry is properly introduced! And true to form, one of his first lines is a joke, saying that any compliment aimed at Frodo must be a lie. As I noted with Frodo, Merry is a very different character in Peter Jackson’s movies, so be sure to pay attention to the details given about this Merry, who is introduced first as Frodo’s close friend.
Links to Other Content:
– A tiny matchbox Bag End, by suwi!!
– A funny comic parodying Gandalf’s line at the door. (Warning: language)
– Beautiful recap of yesterday’s party, by breath-art. The artist does wondering depictions of many big scenes, and I will often include them the day after as a review.
Notes: Done with the first chapter! Over the next two-ish weeks I’ll cover a few pages of the next chapter, as well as quite a bit of fun Shire art, and some other stuff. Mark your calendars for April 12, as that is when the “real time” reading will begin and things get exciting! Also, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t worry. Later in April I’ll run out of content and you’ll have time to catch up 🙂 ~Tom