Prologue: Of the Finding of the Ring
Pages To Read:
FR.Pro “Of the Finding of the Ring” (~p.11) – “At this point this History begins.” (~p.14)
– A short synopsis of The Hobbit is given, with focus on the finding of the ring.
– We finally learn the name of the great wizard: Gandalf! He’s back from The Hobbit, as you may have guessed. He’s got a lot to do this time around, so be ready for some awesome wizarding pretty soon.
– Part of the necessity of this section was to explain revisions to The Hobbit. The first edition of The Hobbit was published with the version of the story that Bilbo “told to the dwarves”, the one that Gandalf did not believe. However, as Tolkien was writing LOTR he realized that Gollum should be more sinister and the Ring was more important, so the chapter was rewritten. Subsequent editions featured the ‘Riddles In The Dark’ that we all know and love. In 1954, though, this would have been confusing so this little section of the prologue explains it all.
– Gandalf comes to Hobbiton to take Bilbo on an adventure, by ullakko
– (Featured) Bilbo finds Gollum’s lake, by Oikeus
Notes: Definitely read this section even if you remember the chapter from The Hobbit, because there’s a lot of focus on the ‘luck’ aspect here. The whole concept of luck/fate will be crucial to the plot of LOTR and the whole conception of Middle Earth. ~Tom