Hobbit Appreciation Day 5 – Chapters 15-19
Events: Wouldn’t want to spoil the climax, but I think it suffices to say that, having gotten “There” to the mountain, Bilbo comes “Back Again” to the Shire
Quotes and Details:
– Famous quote by Thorin to Bilbo in one of the more touching scenes of the book: “‘If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
– In the penultimate paragraph of the book, Gandalf offers some advice to Bilbo that has some important implications for the idea of Fate in Middle Earth: “‘Surely you don’t disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don’t really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!'”
– It is also noteworthy that we finally learn what Gandalf was doing throughout the past several chapters: fighting the Necromancer and kicking it out of its lair in southern Mirkwood. Stay tuned for more details in the LOTR Appendices…
Art for these chapters:
– http://fav.me/d8fvnb3 (Featured) from Gathering Of The Clouds: “Gold Sickness”, by s-u-w-i
– http://fav.me/d516ndi illustration of A Thief In The Night by ullakko
– http://www.matthew-stewart.com/portfolio/single-gallery/4270586 The Battle Of Five Armies
– http://bit.do/dhxsV Series of intense depictions of the various armies in the Battle, by tulikoura
Art for the book in review:
– http://bit.do/dhxsR Amazing Japanese-style art, one for each chapter!
– http://bit.do/dhxs2 Another charming chapter-by-chapter, by DWestmoore
– http://fav.me/dalzc9l The Company!
– https://youtu.be/v-NaLEh6bRc Under The Mountain Dark and Tall, by Joshua Burnell; from ‘Gathering Of The Clouds’, basically a dark and war-mongering remix of the original Song Of The Lonely Mountains
– https://youtu.be/e6ohLqQt8vg reprise of the silly Elvish song in Rivendell, by Joshua Burnell
– https://youtu.be/uU-RHycKNxU Elvish Lullaby by Broceliande (really beautiful!)
– https://youtu.be/qv41-EkLj4I The final song (Roads Go Ever Ever On) by Adele McAllister who is amazing and perfect, and does gorgeous renditions of Tolkien’s songs!!
Notes: And so we have come to the end of The Hobbit. Thanks for following along, of course the main attraction is coming on Monday! There will be an email over the weekend in preparation, and the first page of the prologue as promised on Monday, March 20. ~Tom