The Hobbit (Part 1)
Pages To Read: Chapters 1-3 of The Hobbit
– An Unexpected Party – Dwarves arrive at Bilbo Baggins’ home.
– Roast Mutton – After setting out, the party meets a group of 3 nasty trolls.
– A Short Rest – The party rests for a while in Rivendell and consults Elrond.
– “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort”
– “‘Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?'”
Music and Art:
FEATURED: ‘Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold’ by Clamavi De Profundis. This group took the melody written for the PJ movie and adapted it to fit the full song as written by Tolkien. A MUST-LISTEN!!
– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7HFnbYc7MM J.R.R. Tolkien singing ‘Chip The Glasses’
– http://ringbearer80.deviantart.com/art/There-and-Back-Again-90776704 Charming illustration of Gandalf meeting Bilbo at his hobbit-hole by ringbearer80
– http://ringbearer80.deviantart.com/art/The-Hobbit-92864758 The Unexpected Party (in the style of The Last Supper), also by ringbearer80
– http://faqy.deviantart.com/art/far-over-350735159 The Dwarves Singing the song of the Misty Mountain, by Faqy who is one of my absolute favorite Tolkien artists (you’ll see a lot of their art in these updates…)
– Elrond, who we meet in chapter 3, will of course come back to have a key role in LOTR.
– Mentioned briefly in chapter 1, Belladonna Took (Bilbo’s mother) is unfortunately the only female character in The Hobbit. Never fear, Éowyn is on her way…
– Chapter 3 also includes a mention of Gondolin, the high-elven city from Tolkien’s early Middle Earth myths. Stay tuned for the summer, when we will cover this and many other events from the First Age.
Notes: This is the first update in a 5-part Hobbit series leading up to our start of LOTR on March 20. As I said, I would highly recommend reading The Hobbit if you have not done so before. Especially in these first few chapters, you’ll find some of Tolkien’s must whimsical and funny excerpts. The next update will be on Thursday so everyone (including me) has a few days to read this first section. As a side note, this is roughly how LOTR updates will be structured, but I will send more info on that before we start. ~Tom