Ford Of Bruinen
Shire Reckoning: October 20, 3018 (Winterfilth 20, 1419)
Pages To Read:
– FR.Flight “The hobbits were still weary” (~p.16) – “saw no more” (end)
Tale of years:
Escape across the Ford of Bruinen.
– Glorfindel leads the Hobbits toward the Ford of Bruinen, listening all day for the sound of pursuit.
– Finally, when there is just a mile left, Glorfindel hears following feet and cries “‘Fly! The enemy is upon us!'”
– Team Frodo rushes toward the river, but before then can reach it, five Black Rides appear from the trees behind.
– Frodo is paralyzed in fear, but Glorfindel commands Asfaloth (his horse that Frodo is riding) to ride, and it carries Frodo speedily toward the Ford. (illustration by Miruna-Lavinia)
– The rest of the Black Riders come flying out of the trees on the left and make to cut off Frodo’s path.
– Asfaloth manages to get Frodo to the river just in time, passing directly through the grasp of the Riders. (illustration by smokygouda)
– The Nine Riders pause at the edge of the water while Frodo climbs up the opposite bank. They call to him “‘Come back! To Mordor we will take you!'”
– Frodo makes a final stand and calls down “‘By Elbereth and Lúthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!'”
– The Riders start to cross the Ford, but all of the sudden, a torrent of water comes crashing down the river.
– Frodo faints as the roaring flood sweeps the Black Riders away. (illustration by CG-Warrior)
– Book 1 ends, with the words “He heard and saw no more.”