Of the end of the line of Kings
Pages To Read:
-RKAppA section I.iv “The third evil was the invasion of the Wainriders” (~p.16) – “Houses of the Dead, where Eärnur had left it” (~p.20)
– The invasion of the Wainriders from the east further weakens Gondor. It is revealed that Suaron had agitated them into attacking.
– The Wainriders’ attack was coordinated with the renewed attack from Angmar in the north, so the Northern and Southern kingdoms were not able to help each other out.
– Arvedui (remember him? – the last king in the north) tries to claim the throne after the Wainriders are defeated but his claim is ignored and the war hero Eärnil takes the throne instead.
– Eärnur, his son, takes a fleet north but is too late to save Arvedui from dying and Arnor falling to Angmar. However, allying themselves with Círdan the elven ship-king of Lindon, they ride to Fornost to challenge the Witch-King. In arrogance, the Witch-King rides forth but is utterly routed by the combined forces of Lindon, Gondor, Rivendell (led by Glorfindel) and survivors from Arnor.
– After every single orc and evil man of Angmar are slain, the Witch-King freaks everyone out with his screech and laugh, then disappears into the night.
– Glorfindel fortells that the Witch-King will not fall by the hand of man.
– The Witch-King gathers the forces of the Nine in Mordor and takes Minas Ithil years later in TA 2000, and renames it Minas Morgul. When Eärnur becomes king, the Witch-King challenges him to single combat, taunting him about their previous confrontation in the North (when he basically just screeched at Eärnur). After a second challenge, Eärnur can’t resist, rides to Minas Morgul, and is never heard from again.
– In his absence, a suitable king cannot be found, and the Stewards just kinda keep reigning indefinantly.
Trivia, Quotes, and Details:
– Witch-King is a scary dude
Links to Other Content:
– Arvedui, by steamey. The last king of Arnor either shortly before or after his defeat at Fornost
– Minas Ithil (later Minas Morgul), by LePtitSuisse1912. Beautiful drawing of Minas Ithil, the twin city to Minas Arnor (Minas Tirith), across the river.
– Battle of Fornost, by Tulikoura (featured). Fabulous drawing of the Witch-King being defeated at Fornost
– The Witch-King of Angmar, by peet.
– Carn Dûm, by Ilya Nazarov. Really cool digital art of the capital of Angmar, main fortress of the Witch-King.
Notes: History of Gondor, pt 3. I would definitely check this part out, because it’s great to see the Witch-King be scary as context for when he appears in LOTR. Sidenote: fourth and final part of History of Gondor may be delayed a day or so. ~Tom